Thursday, September 22, 2011

Traditions

Valentine's Day candy

Traditions are often defined as actions or beliefs that are handed down over time. They are things that become a part of our customs, or habits. Do you always go to the same place for vacation? If so, then that is a tradition. Traditions are centered around our culture and form part of what makes each one of us who we are. Food, music, dance, religion, even dress can form part of a tradition. Some traditions are passed down from generation to generation. Sometimes totally new traditions are made when two people marry and blend their traditions to make something unique.

Many Irish for example wear green clothes on March 17th, St. Patrick's Day. In many countries people exchange chocolates, flowers and romantic cards on February 14th, Valentine's Day. In Spain it is tradition to eat a special cake on January 6th called a roscón. In my husband's family it is a tradition to have lunch together every Sunday. Aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents are all expected to attend Sunday dinner. A friend of mine likes to go to the same restaurant every year on her birthday. That has become her birthday tradition. For some American families eating turkey on Thanksgiving nad watching American college football games is a yearly tradition. Everyone's traditions can be different. We are all unique and so our traditions can be as well.

In my family we had a tradition about decorating the family Christmas tree. First we had to go and see the big Christmas tree be lit in New York City's Rockefeller Center. That was the sign that we could now start decorating the house for the holidays. We always had an artificial tree. My Dad was afraid a real one would catch on fire and burn down the house! Tree decorating night meant that the tree was brought down from its out of season hideout in the attic. Mom made hot chocolate with marshmallows. We ate sugar cookies and listened to Christmas carols while we decorated the tree always in the same order: lights, ornaments, tinsel, star. The final family tree tradition was that the tree didn't come down and get put away until after my birthday on January 16th.

I have such happy memories of tree decorating that I have tried to continue the tree tradition with my own children. While we don't go to New York City to see the tree lighting, we do drink hot chocolate with whipped cream or marshmallows, eat cookies, listen to Christmas carols and decorate the tree in the same lights, ornaments, tinsel, star order. Our tree, however, is always a real tree! It will be interesting to see if my daughters keep this tradition alive when they are older and have their own families.

Roscón de Reyes (3 Kings Cake)

8 comments:

theo the new kid said...

Ms its a nice story even it took me lots of time i still liked it i like the part that your dad said that the tree might fall at the house will be on fire.

Otis said...

You are making me hungry with the pics! I also celebrate christmas, but we always used an artificial tree, but it still looks like a real one...

Leslie Davis =D said...

Interesting traditions!Some of which we do at my house as well. We also have lunch as a family but we usually go to a restaurant. Also,we also have our menorah out for Hannaukah. :)

Leo Phillips-Jacovides said...

cool story, in my family on new years eve we always watch Big Ben strike midnight for the new year to begin. and after that my brother and sister go clubbing until about four in the morning.

nikischof said...

Awesome traditions! I like to celebrate Sinterklass. He's like the the ducth santa.

msdeu said...

Grr! See how important it is to spell check and proof read - I was in a rush when I posted this and didn't check it carefully before posting. I just read it again now and there's a typo. I typed "nad" rather than "and." The lesson here: you're never too old to check your work!

Maria-denise said...

Interesting traditions!!!! :)))

Sam said...

I think I had that cake. It's really soft, right? The one I think I had sort of exploded with flavour!